Wednesday 29 March 2017

Bigger, better, transformed!

Welcome to the ALL NEW A Rainbow Doula
You'll be seeing some big changes happening on the website over the next few weeks as I work with a design team to revamp my look as my focus shifts.

I feel it is only fair to explain why as a doula my focus is shifting away from births. There are a few reasons, I will begin with the most important;

My family - having a husband who works interstate makes it hard to commit to births, relying heavily on babysitters which we just do not have, once the kids are older I'd love to start supporting births again. Supporting births is a BIG passion of mine especially where families have had a previous loss, traumatic birth or circumstances such as teen pregnancy. I am still going to provide pregnancy support just not birth support for a little while but I do have a fantastic lady to refer clients on to.
Why am I telling you this? Because I believe in being honest to my clients, to my community, I am human after all, I cannot do it al. We all face challenges and right now my husband working away is one of those challenges.

By putting births aside for the meantime (mostly! I cannot shy away completely, I will still be able to support births where a caesarean date is scheduled to ensure I have childcare - yes you can still have a doula with a caesarean birth!) this means I can focus more on other aspects of birth work that I am passionate about.

Where will my focus be now and why?
Postpartum Support - When people think about a doula they think of pregnancy and birth but that's not all a doula can be used for. I am also a postpartum doula and offer support to families in those first few months post baby. Whether its your first baby or tenth there will be challenges, there will be times you'd love an extra set of hands, we are those hands!
Here is a post I made about how valuable a postpartum doula is.

Childbirth Education - Have you ever been to the hospital childbirth education classes? Classes ran by an independent educator are NOT like those! While some maybe happy with the information provided many are left feeling underwhelmed. Midwives are run off their feet and most dread being rostered on for the classes, the information tends to be dated and biased to hospital policy.
My classes whilst structured are client led, I
strive on keeping myself up to date with information and I am constantly learning to provide the best information possible.
Check out our calendar of events for our next group session OR book a private class.

Placenta Encapsulation - I could talk all day about the benefits of encapsulating! While I mainly service Ballarat I do extend services to most Melbourne hospitals.
To see more information about encapsulation please read here


Belly Casts - I love crafting, I love painting and creating so I have tied this hobby in with my work and offer belly casts to the community.

Saving the part of my work that owns a part of my soul to the very last is Parenting A Rainbow, my husband and I have experienced stillbirth and miscarriage together, after losing our daughter to a congenital diaphragmatic hernia I have been heavily invested in helping families with their grief and grief tends to get reopened or take another path when you have another baby and support is often needed in a way that differs from the other supports offered. This is why I started the Parenting A Rainbow packages for A Rainbow Doula, having a rainbow baby is a very emotional process.

So there is a little about the direction we are taking for a little while, my heart very much still lies in birth work and all elements of it. Changes are happening, as I grow as a person and as a parent my business is also growing from the seed it started at in 2012 it is now blossoming and transforming into a beautiful fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment